Saturday, June 23, 2012

Assumptions

I seem to frequently find myself on the wrong side of other people's assumptions. You see, it's not always a bad thing, people often assume that I am younger than I am, unless they see that I have four children, and then the automatically assume that I am older than I am. People sometimes assume that I know what I am doing, when sometimes I am just trying to make it to the end of the day. People sometimes assume that I know how to fix problems or find something, when the truth is I may have created the problem or lost said thing being looked for so I really am of no help.

The assumption that really gets me though, the one that makes me cringe, the one that have faced for several years now. The assumption that I am, "the youth pastor's wife." I guess in part this assumption is true, somewhat. My husband in the youth pastor, but not alone. I am not just "the youth pastor's wife."

I don't believe that anyone has ever referred to my husband as "the youth pastor's husband", and I don't forsee that happening anytime in the future either. Not that there is anything wrong with being the "youth pastor's wife." There isn't, I know plenty, they are wonderful women. I sometimes would just like people to understand that just because I am a woman doesn't make me any less called than my husband or any less important or effective. God has called and equipped me just like he has my husband and I am so blessed to serve side-by-side with such a wonderful man.

That being said, I am also thankful for a husband, who doesn't understand at all what it is like to continually be referred to as, "the youth pastor's wife", of course not, he's a man, but despite that is more than happy to listen to my frustrations and reassure me that no matter how ignorant some people can be, that doesn't lessen my call any either.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!!! I so agreed with what you wrote I made my husband listen to me read it to him.

    ReplyDelete