Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Switching roles

I love being co-pastors with my husband, working side by side with him and having my best friend to share this crazy journey of ministry with. We have been doing ministry together for almost 10 years now and we have a pretty good system worked out. We each have our normal things that we do. I have always been the more admistrative side of things, planning, writing, sending in forms, and so on and so forth. And my husband has always been a bit of the more outgoing out front person. And I am prefectly comfortable being more in the background. Well, God is certainly pushing me out of my comfort zone. While my husband is stuck on the sidelines I have had to reliquish some of my administrative duties to him for my own sanities sake. I mean, it's a lot of work taking care of a husband, 4 kids, a house, and youth ministry stuff, and I'm tired. So, I need to lighten my load, some of that comes in the way of prioritizing, is it more important for my children to eat, or the basement to be cleaned. Part of me says the basement because then the kids could spend more time down there ;) Okay, but in all seriousness, you get my point. I am quickly realizing that although I really do like to be in control of things (yes, I am admitting it). I NEED to let some things go and let some other people help out.

Included in that is switching some roles with my husband. I have to take on some of the things that I normally just let fall to him, and I need him to take on some of the roles that I normally tackle myself. It's part of being a partnership and working together, it's part of the beauty of being co-pastors, having someone that you can switch roles with when need be. I am so blessed to work with my husband like I do, and I'm so thankful that when I get overwhelmed by the craziness of life and havig to step out of my comfort zone and do the things I don't always like doing, he is my encourager and helps me to keep my sanity. I am also thankful that he puts up with my constant questions about why he does things certain ways even though, "it's not the way I normally do things."

Although there are certainly challenges to being co-pastors, I have been reminded lately of all of the blessings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment