Saturday, January 19, 2013

somethings you never forget

It"s been 2 years and yet sometimes it feels like only yesterday. A Wednesday morning, we were sitting in staff meeting when my mom called, I didn't answer, but then she texted me, "call me now" is what it said, I knew something was wrong, but I had no way of knowing what it was. My sister and 2 of her children were in a car accident, a bad one. Before I knew it I was driving to Columbus, I didn't even know where I was going when I got on the road. I could go into great deal, I remember it all vividly, being ushered into the small room in the er at the hospital my sister was in, her in-laws already there, and my heart sank, I knew but my mind begged for them to say otherwise. I could hardly breath as I called Ryan to tell him  our sweet 4 month old nephew was now cradled in the arms of Jesus. I was mad that my mom had not told me on the phone, but  understood that she didn't want to be the one to tell me, especially as I made the 2 hour drive on the icy roads. It was a long day, a long couple of weeks sitting in the hospital, waiting for news, it was exhausting. I think of Lewis often as I watch my daughter, just 3 months older than him, oh what trouble I am sure the 2 of them would have caused together. I am thankful for the joy that Lewis is in heaven, grateful that I will see him again someday. And I am reminded that life is precious and it is a gift. Today I am reminded to hold my children tighter, to enjoy them more and never take for granted hugs, kisses, snuggles, and I love yous.

I am thankful that my sister and my neice survived and that my beautiful neice is a daily reminder of how God moves and orchestrates miracles. I can't wait to see how she continues to heal, how she continues to grow, and all the lives I know she will touch, she has touched so many already.

No comments:

Post a Comment